- Optical brightener
- Commercial Chemicals
- Corrosion & Scale Inhibitors
- Filtration Control Agents
- Specialty Products
- Completion & Drill in Products
- Clays / Weighting Materials
- Lost-Circulation Materials
- Shale Inhibitors & Flocculants
- High temperature products, thinners and
- Lubricants, Surfactants & Spotting fluids
- Defoamers & Bacteriocide
Scope of the Company
|Address: Weifang, Shandong, China|
Shale Inhibitors & Flocculants
Sulfonated Asphalt additive can be used in most water-base muds. It is a free-flowing powder and can be added directly to the mud system through the mixing hopper. It is not necessary to premix Sulfonated Asphalt inhibitor with oil. It contains no surfactants.
Sulfonated Asphalt is a partially water-soluble, water dispersible shale inhibitor.
It is used to aid in stabilizing shale sections, controlling solids dispersion and improving wall-cake characteristics. It is also used as a supplemental high-temperature fluid-loss additive for
water-base drilling fluid systems.
Typical Physical Properties
Physical appearance Fine black/gray powder
Odor Mild sulfur
Specific gravity 0.90 – 0.96 @ 77° F
pH > 8.5
Solubility in water 71% soluble in water @ 72° F
Sulfonated Asphalt additive can be used in most water-base muds. It is a free-flowing powder
and can be added directly to the mud system through the mixing hopper. It is not necessary to
premix Sulfonated Asphalt inhibitor with oil. It contains no surfactants.
Normal concentrations of Sulfonated Asphalt additive range from 3 to 6 lb/bbl (8.6 to 17.1
kg/m3) for shale stabilizing control and 6 lb/bbl (17.1 kg/m3) for high-temperature fluid-loss
In water-base drilling fluid systems, Sulfonated Asphalt inhibitor exhibits the following
• Stabilizes shales
• Lowers torque and drag
• Reduces high-temperature fluid-loss
• Produces thin-walled filter cakes
• Improves borehole stability
• Easy to handle and mix
• Plugs micro-fractures and seals shales
• Inhibits swelling and water-wetting of shales
• Reduces high-pressure, high-temperature (HPHT) fluid-loss
• Reduces torque and drag
• Improves filter-cake quality
• Increases drilling-fluid lubricity
• Not recommended for use in non-aqueous fluids.
Toxicity and Handling
Bioassay information is available upon request.
Handle as an industrial chemical, wearing protective equipment and observing the precautions
described in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Packaging and Storage
Sulfonated Asphalt inhibitor is available in 50 lb (22.7 kg), multi-wall sacks; 50 sacks per shrink-
Store in a dry, well-ventilated area. Keep container closed. Store away from incompatibles.
Follow safe warehousing practices regarding palletizing, banding, shrink wrapping and/or